|Location(s)||Matong Forest, New South Wales, Australia|
- 1 Vision and Organization
- 2 Burning Seed Culture
- 3 The Burning Seed Event
- 4 Other Events and Activities
- 5 Significant Dates
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Media Coverage
- 8 Documentation
- 9 See Also
- 10 Contact
Vision and Organization
From Section 176 of the Company Constitution of the Organisation:
The purposes of Red Earth City Pty Ltd are: To instigate, enable and incubate the production of Burning Man activities throughout Australia which will bring experiences to people in grand, awe-inspiring and joyful ways that lift the human spirit, address social problems and inspire a sense of culture, community and cultural engagement, where the organisation has a number of purposes, which values:
Interactivity - We value art that prompts the viewer to act. We like art that can be experienced in more ways than visually. We are fans of art that is meant to be touched, heard or experienced, as well as viewed; art that requires human interaction to complete the piece, that prompts people to interact with one another, that responds to participants and to its environment.
Community – We value art that builds community through education, collaboration and activism. We see that when an art project arises from the need of a community, it belongs to the public and exists for the benefit of all. When a work is freely accessible to the public, civic in scope and inclusive by nature, it challenges the traditional perspectives on art. When an interactive artwork becomes part of a community, it demands the stewardship of its citizens, engendering ownership, responsibility and pride.
Education – We value art that goes beyond artistic expression; we value art that educates. We support projects that prioritise collaboration with local youth and educators. We know that, with guidance and support, the creation of art is a most powerful tool to educate youth about the pressing concerns of their times, including issues around the environment, renewable energy, and climate change.
Activism – We value art that causes people to reflect on the larger community. We see art as a way to connect individuals, and call them to action. We commend art that challenges individuals to re-examine their everyday lives and their role in their immediate and larger community. We support art that educates about the alternatives to consumerism and the reduction of environmental impact. Through art, we seek to promote the use of renewable resources, environmental justice and social responsibility.
a) To create a national organisation called Red Earth City.
b) To create and operate the Red Earth City organisation with 2 (two) independent standing committees for the conduct of:
- (i) Burning Seed; and
- (ii) Burning Man Australia;
which are formed to manage the business and affairs of the company in their respective areas of responsibility, with equal powers.
c) To recognise Burning Seed as an Australian regional Burning Man event.
d) To recognise Burning Man Australia as a space to facilitate the discussion, expression and manifestation of the Burning Man philosophies and principles.
e) To form a Burning Seed Town Council and Burning Man Australia Community Board to engage certain roles by way of contract or employment which fulfil certain essential ongoing requirements that go beyond the scope of volunteers to maintain the viable, ongoing and safe operation of activities.
f) To form a Burning Seed Team Leads Committee to organise the day to day operations of conducting a safe Burning Seed event, that can make further recommendations to the Burning Seed Town Council, to whom it is responsible to, particularly for all financial, budget, insurance and legal matters.
k) To facilitate over the next 3 years or earlier, the formation of an open and inclusive restructuring committee group, with representation from the company's directors and any members of its two 2 peak standing committees, to undertake a process of broad community engagement and rigorous internal examination, to make recommendation to the directors of the Red Earth City Pty Ltd, for the transition of the company and its national organisation, to a nationally registered charitable not for profit entity or group of entities, or subsidiary of an entity of this nature, where provision is made in each and any of the new entities for a public fund allowing registration with the Register of Cultural Organisations (ROCO), allowing then for the application for Deductible Gift recipient status using one or a combination of the following commonly used incorporated legal structures;
- (i) companies limited by guarantee;
- (ii) incorporated associations; or
- (iii) non-trading co-operatives;
that is best suited for the community and the current national organisation, to achieve the ongoing pursuit of the purposes of the company, Burning Seed and Burning Man Australia.
Burning Seed Culture
Burning Seed is built on the ten principles of Burning Man. These are
- Radical Inclusion: Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community.
- Gifting: Burning Man is devoted to acts of gift giving. The value of a gift is unconditional. Gifting does not contemplate a return or an exchange for something of equal value.
- Deccommodificanion: In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience.
- Radical Self Reliance: Burning Man encourages the individual to discover, exercise and rely on his or her inner resources.
- Radical Self Expression: Radical self-expression arises from the unique gifts of the individual. No one other than the individual or a collaborating group can determine its content. It is offered as a gift to others. In this spirit, the giver should respect the rights and liberties of the recipient.
- Communal Effort: Our community promotes social interaction through collective acts of gifting. We value creative cooperation and collaboration. We strive to produce, promote and protect social networks, public spaces, works of art, and methods of communication that support such interaction.
- Civic Responsibility: We value civil society. Community members who organize events should assume responsibility for public welfare and endeavor to communicate civic responsibilities to participants. Organizers must also assume responsibility for abiding by national law and district bylaws.
- Leaving No Trace: Our community respects the environment. We are committed to leaving no physical trace of our activities wherever we gather. We clean up after ourselves and endeavor, whenever possible, to leave such places in a better condition than when we found them.
- Participation: Our community is committed to a radically participatory ethic. We believe that transformative change, whether in the individual or in society, can occur only through the medium of deeply personal participation in experience. We achieve being through doing. Everyone is invited to work. Everyone is invited to play. We make the world real through actions that open the heart.
- Immediacy: Immediate experience is, in many ways, the most important touchstone of value in our culture. We seek to overcome barriers that stand between us and a recognition of our inner selves, appreciation of the reality of those around us, participation in society, and contact with a natural world exceeding human powers. No idea can substitute for this experience.
The Burning Seed Event
|Burning Seed 2010||Creation||Matong Forest|
|Burning Seed 2011||Synergy||Matong Forest|
|Burning Seed 2012||Mythconception||Matong Forest|
|Burning Seed 2013||Re:creation||Matong Forest|
|Burning Seed 2014||Imagine:Nation||Matong Forest||1 - 7 October|
|Burning Seed 2015||Revolution||Matong Forest||30 September - 5 October|
|2016 Event Cancelled|
|Burning Seed 2017||Deeper Space||Matong Forest||27 September - 2 October|
Matong Forest Locality
- Relationship of the event site to the local area, eg 'adjacent' or 'distance from'.
- Ownership status of land event is held on - private, reserve etc
- Alternate uses of site - sporting events, agricultural, tourist use etc
- Nearest Towns, Cities
- Matong Township: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matong
- Climate + link to local weather
- Geology and landscape and hydrology
- probably relevant given the flooding that shut down the event in 2016
- Flora fauna
- Earliest and subsequent Human habitation
- Significant sites in area
- Governance stucture - Local and State.
- The Matong forest where the event is held is controlled by the Forestry Corporation of New South Wales. The Corporation has the power to issue a permit for public use of forest lands under its control, and to require that certain conditions are met in relation to that use. While the Forestry Corporation has direct control over the site, the organizers also work with the Coolamon Shire , the Local Government body, and with agencies of the New South Wales State Government.
- Population relative to other towns cities in this area
Red Earth City Planning and Facilities
Red Earth City is the name given to the Burning Seed Event location in the Matong Forest of New South Wales. The soil at this location (technically a red chromosol) has a distinctive red colouring.
- Area and shape of site
- Permanent Infrastucture
- Internal divisions/neighborhoods - explain functions and relative locations
- Created infrastructure - effigies etc, power, water, waste, lighting
Volunteer and Contracted Services
Getting To and From Burning Seed
Other Events and Activities
Commercial Media Outlets
Blogs, Videography and Reports
Vimeo: Moja Film: Burning Seed 2015: https://vimeo.com/154684071 (6:39)
Official Site: *http://www.burningseed.com Facebook page: *https://www.facebook.com/groups/314821065195149/?fref=ts