The Ten Principles
- A few days ago the Burning Wiki began to issue details of Burns which had been cancelled or postponed. These are now so numerous that they are best found by searching in the Burns and Burners page. Remember that the items in the list are sortable simply by clicking on the heading at the top of any column there. Remember that the situation can change rapidly and do your own research before booking travel etc.
- We'd like to bring together all the Theme Camps in the world. Mostly because we believe that there's potential for like-minded and like-hearted Theme Camps across the world to come together and find inspiration - and even material assistance - in and from each other. It's also an opportunity for those who are contemplating creating a Theme Camp to find a mentor. And we'd like to do it because we can do it. The Burning Wiki is an aggregator of Burn related information, and the Theme Camps are an integral part of every Burn and every Burner's experience.
But here's a reality check. We estimate that there are over 5,000 Theme Camps worldwide, past and present. We also know that Theme Camps 'come and go'... they change their names, they change their 'shape' and they change their key people (and contact details). That's not a bad thing - it's an expression of the versatility and energy of Theme Camps. We can cast our net wide and capture the details of most of these Theme Camps - but with our current editorial staff levels we won't be able to tell you whether they are currently active. Where we can find one, we'll provide a link to the Theme Camp. In the cases where we can't find a link we will at least let you know which Burn they were/are associated with. The rest is up to you.
Our Theme Camp Central page has 1203 Theme Camps listed, with nearly 550 links you can follow through on. We're adding between fifty and a hundred each day, and we'll update the numbers here as we proceed.
- You lead, we follow. There's been a huge upsurge of interest in virtual Burns, virtual Burn events and virtual Burn community forums in recent weeks. The Burning Wiki has taken it's Broadcast listing and Virtual Burn listing and created a new page, The Mediated Burn. It's very early days with this listing and we will experiment over the next few days to find the best format. We should have around fifty listings by next week. In case you were curious, this was one of the jobs we'd hoped to recruit a volunteer to undertake.
Shouting Fire is an independent, international broadcasting collective, born on the playa and inspired by Burning Man. It is an open source, non-commercial community radio station operated entirely by volunteers who are dedicated to the free flow of information and to spreading art and culture.
Shouting Fire's website which includes many great links, scheduling information and their live stream can be accessed here.
Burning Wiki's list of Burner inspired broadcasts, podcasts, virtual events and forums can be accessed here
<<<< Shouting Fire graphic by Nicole Bloss aka Alpha Pussy. She is also the person who designs the BRC city map.
Burn2 is an Burning Man Regional Virtual space that was - like Shouting Fire - born on the playa and inspired by Burning Man. As our Burning community explores the possibilities of virtual connection in this COVID crisis who better to turn to for advice that the people who have been doing it since 2003. I'd like to particularly draw your attention to Burn2's very useful hints and links in their Pandemic Toolkit.
For more Burner inspired broadcasts, podcasts, virtual events and forums, check out the Burning Wiki's page: The Mediated Burn.
<<<< Graphic from the Burn2 website.
Connect with the Wiki
Burning Wiki is similar to, but separate from Wikipedia. Like all Wikis it's a place where all visitors are encouraged to add knowledge, and like all Burn Communities it's a Do-ocracy.
- Create a Wiki Editor Account. Leave a message for John Mack at email@example.com. Setup will usually happen within 24 hours.
- Content Assistance/Support. We are happy to edit or enter content for you - just contact John Mack at firstname.lastname@example.org